In New York, medical law requires that before a patient is tested for HIV, a medical professional must have given their consent and been properly informed. If any results come back positive, the patient must be referred to a counselor. Dr. Pavel Yutsis violated that law and is now being sued by “Jane Doe” after informing her of positive HIV results without any counseling.
While being treated for gastric-bypass surgery, the 31-year-old woman and Dr. Yutsis learned that her white blood cell count was low, so he suggested that she be tested for HIV, which she clearly denied. But, against her wishes, he ran tests anyway. “When he told me I was positive and threw the papers at me, I just went numb,” the woman recalled. “I was no good.”
Having the right to decide when and where she would get tested and hear her results was one that this lady didn’t have. On top of being in an uncomfortable environment, the lawsuit stated that several staff members of Lifex Medical Care in Sheepshead Bay (where the unlawful testing was done) also knew about her results. That’s a flat-out violation of privacy!
Source [NY Daily News]
- Woman Sues Doctor After He Tells Her She’s HIV-Positive (woldcnews.com)
- Wait, What? NYC Woman Sues Her Doctor For Telling Her She Has HIV After She Asked Not To Be Tested (bossip.com)
- Woman Suing Doctor For Informing Her She’s HIV-Positive Without Consent (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Woman Sues Doctor After He Tells Her She’s HIV-Positive (myhoustonmajic.com)
- Woman Sues Doctor After He Tells Her She’s HIV-Positive (newstalkcleveland.com)