Amanda Todd of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, died on Oct. 10 from suicide. Her reason for taking her own life was one that seems to be common these days: cyber-bullying. Sadly, she posted a video on YouTube called “My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm” about her battle, saying “Every day, I think, why am I still here? I’m stuck. What’s left of me now? Nothing stops. I have nobody. I need someone. My name is Amanda Todd.”
In this video, she describes what happened, explaining how she was coerced into flashing the camera while web chatting, being contacted by a unkown man who had all of her information and who threatened to post the picture to everyone, how he made the picture his profile picture on Facebook, and how the picture was sent to everyone she knew. She also described being bullied and beat up by students at a school, moving to a new location but nothing changing, and suffering from anxiety and depression.
Below is the video. This honestly makes me sick to my stomach to hear of someone so young feeling that she had nothing left to live for, all because of people being cruel and unforgiving of her mistake. I can speak from experience of being bullied in middle school all because of rumors that were not true. I remember not wanting to go to the cafeteria or gym during lunch, finding somewhere else to go where I wouldn’t be harassed, and having my name written on bathroom walls. It’s not a good feeling. But we all must learn to support one another and not be so judgemental.
If you or anyone you know is suffering from bullying, whether it’s in person or on the web, check out the links below Amanda’s video. I encourage you to have faith and seek out help. Believe in yourself and know that nothing lasts forever. There is a season for everything. Use that negative energy and turn it into something positive. Prove them wrong.
If you or someone you know is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), a free, 24-hour hotline. Your call will be routed to the nearest crisis center to you.
- Bullied Canadian Teen Commits Suicide After Posting Last-Ditch Cry for Help on YouTube [Video] (gawker.com)
- Cyberbullying: Outpouring of grief over teen’s suicide (with video) (theprovince.com)
- Coquitlam teen dies by suicide after alleged bullying (metronews.ca)
- Videos: RIP Amanda Todd (updated) (vancouversun.com)
- Amanda Todd: the latest victim of cyber bullying (thedailyshift.com)
- RIP Amanda: Social media networks tell story of Vancouver area teen who committed suicide over cyberbullying (blogs.vancouversun.com)
- Cyberbullying: Teen suicide prompts Coquitlam School District policy review (with video) (theprovince.com)
- Vancouver area teen commits suicide after telling story of being cyberbullied (with video) (vancouversun.com)