As Sheryl West walked with her infant son in a stroller Thursday morning, she was approached by a gunman and a younger boy, who attempted to rob her at gunpoint. After asking her for money that she didn’t have, the gunman, who was a teenager, asked her, “Do you want me to kill your baby?”. The teen then fired four shots.
The first shot went into the ground. The second shot went past her head, grazing her ear. He then shot West in her left leg, right above her knee. “I didn’t know I was hurt”, she said during her interview with The Associated Press. “The boy proceeded to go around to the stroller and he shot my baby in the face. And then he just shoved me when I started screaming and he ran down London Street with the little boy.”
Police have been searching through nearby school attendance records to try to find the two young boys assumed to be between the ages of 10 and 15. West believes the youngest boy was about 5-years-old. Other neighbors heard the gunshots and called 911, but it seems that the mother of the slain infant was the only eye-witness to the crime.
No weapons have been found at this time and no clear motive knowledgeable to the mother or investigators. There is a $10,000 being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction.
- Georgia: Two Teen Robbers Shoot Baby In Head In Front Of Mother – UPDATE (libertynews.com)
- Police arrest 2 teens in Ga. baby killing (cbsnews.com)
- 2 teens arrested in slaying of Ga. infant in stroller (usatoday.com)
- * Two Teens Kill Infant (hardnoxandfriends.wordpress.com)
- Mother of Georgia toddler shot in stroller lost son, 18, in Gloucester County stabbing in 2008 (nj.com)