In just one week, four people have been injured or killed by toddlers who have had access to guns. While the country debates our gun laws, lets remind ourselves that regardless of what the law says, it’s extremly important to keep your firearms locked away safely and out of your childs reach.
Here is an excerpt from ThinkProgress.org on this sad news:
- A Tennessee woman was shot in the stomach by her 2-year-old child on Sunday. Rekia Kid was sleeping with the toddler and her three-week-old baby when the toddler discovered a Glock 9 mm stored underneath her pillow and discharged the weapon. Kid managed to get out of the house and crawl to a neighbor’s porch where she was found by the neighbor, who told local news “[s]he just kept screaming that she didn’t think she was going to make it, she didn’t think she was going to make it and to please please take care of my children.”
- Josephine G. Fanning was shot and killed Saturday at a Tennessee barbecue when a 4-year-old boy discharged a handgun owned by Fanning’s husband, Sheriff’s Deputy Daniel Fanning. Fanning had left the loaded gun “for just a moment” on the bed while he went to retrieve another weapon from a locked gun cabinet.
- A 6-year-old boy was accidentally shot by his 4-year-old playmate in a quiet residential New Jersey area yesterday. The victim later died of his wounds, with the victim’s uncle telling reporters covering the story “This never should have happened. It’s horrible.”
- A 3-year-old died of an accidental self-inflicted gun wound in South Carolina on Tuesday according after finding a gun in an apartment and discharging the weapon. No further details have been released at this time.
Please remember that guns may be necessary for protecting you, your loved ones, and your valuables. But if a firearm is not being used, there is no reason to have it visible inside your home.
- Four-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Deputy’s Wife At Tennessee Cookout (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- At Least 4 People Were Accidentally Shot By Toddlers Since Last Weekend (thinkprogress.org)
- Amurica – Stop Having Babies – They Are Zombies With Guns! (bonjublog.com)
- Four People Shot By Toddlers This Past Weekend (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Boy, 4, accidentally kills wife of Tenn. deputy (wvgazette.com)
- Backyard Games for Toddlers – Outdoor Activities (everydayfamily.com)
- At Least 4 People Shot by Toddlers Since Last Weekend (alternet.org)
- Boy, 4, accidentally kills Tennessee deputy’s wife (khou.com)
- 4-year-old grabs loaded gun at family BBQ and accidentally kills wife of Tennessee sheriff’s deputy (news.nationalpost.com)